Sunday, August 19, 2007

Willa is Wonderful, of Course

We have her!! And she's amazing. I've heard so many horror stories of unhealthy, unhappy, terrified babies. I was fully prepared for the worst. In fact, she's healthy, relaxed, curious, and already eating. Could I ask for more?
Richard arranged to have the babies come to the hotel, which made for a lovely, calm introduction. Her nanny handed her over to us and she was completely relaxed about it. She has several boils on her head, but they appear to be healing. Other than that, she's in great shape. She doesn't even have a cold. She has a couple of inches of hair now and is, by American standards, quite small for an 8 month old. But she appears to be developmentally in very good shape: she makes eye contact, smiles, is curious, can roll over, and can scoot a little.
Tonight we took her to dinner. She ate congee and enjoyed the attention she was getting.
Tomorrow we'll be doing a lot of paperwork, so I don't know if I'll be able to post much. I'll try to send photos soon.
Nicole is babysitting in the room for the first time and she was quite nervous about it, so I promised her I wouldn't take long. I'll write more later.

[About 4 hours before, Theresa sent this:]
The babies are on their way. They should be here in less than an hour, assuming the nannies don't get caught up in traffic. I'm down in the hotel business center doing this to kill time. If I sit in the room waiting for the phone to ring I'll certainly go crazy.

Richard, our guide, is wonderful. He took us out to a grocery store this morning to get baby supplies. I love going to grocery stores when I'm out of the country. And this place didn't disappoint. It was large and well stocked. Nikki and I both totally enjoyed ourselves. I could have stayed for much longer looking at spicy Chinese jerky, and baby cups, and unfamiliar packages of snacks. It was good to get out for an adventure since we've been inside a lot. The weather is cooling down some, which made walking around outside much more enjoyable, though the air pollution is still oppressive. Apparently a typhoon is going to hit the coast here sometime soon; it won't be dangerous for us since we're inland but we still can expect lots of rain and winds. It should be fun to watch the weather from our 16th floor room.

Nikki has been an amazing traveling companion. This trip hasn't been easy, but she has hung in there and been a very good sport. Luckily, we get a large assortment of English language tv channels, which has delighted her. We have seen a number of very cheesy American romantic comedies in the last couple of days. That's been fine with me too, since focusing on anything is very difficult for me right now. Even writing this entry is a bit difficult. I keep thinking I hear babies in the lobby nearby and that I should jump up and leave.

Ok. Ok. I'm going.

I'll try to send pictures, if possible, as soon as I can.

2 comments:

Craig said...

Yeah!

How well I remember those first days! I'm glad Willa is doing so well and that everyone is adjusting. Richard will make everything smooth. He met us at the airport - I couldn't imagine getting to Hefei on my own that first trip! I loved going to stores; I'm glad you got to do that already.

The typhoon you mention, Sepat, has already gone over Taiwan and hit the China coast. It is now a tropical storm; it was at one time a cat 5 hurricane but it hit Taiwan as cat 3. Still did lots of damage. Where you are, I imagine you will get some impressive weather. Good thing you were not in Guangzhou yet - I would imagine it got hit pretty hard since the main landfall was just a bit north, in Fujian, I think.

I can't wait to hear more. Enjoy!

Lizanne said...

Everything sounds excellent. Your first congee together! (okay, maybe you weren't eating any). Willa seems like she's settling in to an amazing extent (does it help, having a big sister lead the way?).

Are you doing any of the touristy things like getting soil from Willa's province or buying squeaky shoes? We didn't, and I"m kinda sorry.

Josie says she hopes she can meet Willa one day soon (or did last time I tried to post here, but is now in bed).

Cheers,

Lizanne