Saturday, August 18, 2007

Nanchang vs. Gary, Indiana

We seem to have recovered pretty well from our trip. Nikki and I slept and slept yesterday and still managed to sleep all night too. We feel pretty good. Yesterday we did manage to get out and take a walk along the Gan River, which is right across from our hotel. Nanchang isn't exactly pedestrian friendly, ( at least by American standards) but we manage to see some really interesting sights and not get run over by a car, scooter, or bike on our outing. The Gan is huge, huge, huge, maybe four or five times wider than the Mississippi. There are all kinds of vessels moving up and down the river, day and night. There are huge rusty barges filled with sand, funky little cruise ships, and tiny row boats that look like they'll surely get swept away. The river is pretty polluted and there's trash on the shore. In spite of that, there were whole families splashing away in the river and having the best time. Nanchang is an industrial city--gritty, dirty, fast-paced. Saying I loved it ! would be like saying I loved Gary, Indiana, but still, it's fascinating. I'm glad we get to experience the real China instead of just seeing the tourist sites. This is Willa's home province and it's good to see what it's really like.

The pollution is difficult for us spoiled Westerners to take. My lungs burned yesterday after we finished our walk. I was happy to get inside and rest in my AC cooled room. It's hard not to feel guilty being in this rather luxurious place when so many people are out in the heat and dirt and grime.

We get Willa this afternoon. It's hard to believe. We've set out all the baby things and they brought the crib into our room today. Weird. Wonderful. But weird.

We've been on our own here, but Richard, our guide will be here soon and I have to admit I'm happy about that. I feel a little insecure here in this country where I don't speak the language.

I'd write more but I've got to get up to the room to wait for Richard's call. Oh my gosh. I just can't believe we get Willa today.

1 comment:

Lizanne said...

The comparison cracked us up here.

We experienced something like this in Shenyang (but no river). Took us 20 minutes to cross a street bc there were six lanes of traffic (incl bike lanes) and cars using the sidewalk to pass.

I'm checking on a lot now to see when the Willa news arrives. So very exciting!

Lizanne & Co.