Monday, August 20, 2007

"Snowflakes that Melt on Your Nose and Eyelashes"

Today, in a hot, sweaty Civil Affairs office crowded with big, goofy Americans and their Chinese babies, Willa became ours officially. It was a morning of waiting around and signing papers, sliding presents to officials when Richard gave us the nod, and trying to keep my wits about me so that I didn't loose my purse full 'o cash or my folder full of Important Stuff. It was pouring buckets outside, but steamy hot in every office we visited. Still it was a lovely day in many ways, especially since we got to spend some time with the staff members of her little orphanage who traveled 4 hours to see their two little ones off. Of course there was a huge language barrier, but somehow we were able to communicate and connect. It was absolutely clear these people loved Willa and Mary Frances to pieces. They kissed them over and over, laughed at their little expressions, each took turns holding and bouncing the girls one last time. Both girls are in great shape, on target de! velopmentally, and just very happy babies. I owe these people so much for the good care they took of Willa. They left Willa very sweet present: her nanny embroidered her Chinese name on a little red pouch that she filled with ceramic pieces made from the Jiangxi soil. They said it was to remind her that she will always be Chinese.

They told me on Willa's most recent paperwork that she slept from 7:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. and they were right almost to the minute. I awoke several times last night out of excitement; Willa slept soundly through the whole night. When she awoke, she seemed to just want to snuggle with me for a while. She put her head on my shoulder and we watched the boats on the Gan while the room grew light. Then she pounded down about a half a box of rice cereal, and, just to show me how well adjusted she really is, she pooped. This is a big milestone for adoptive babies, who often refuse to poop for days after they meet their new parents.

Nikki was again a trooper, sitting patiently through this steamy, tedious morning. She's with Willa now in the room. Willa and Nikki bonded over The Sound of Music: they both lit up when that Julie Andrews began singing. Willa laughed when Nikki started singing. Then Willa fell asleep when the Von Trap children began singing some horrible, sappy song that I'm trying to blot my mind as I write.

I love your comments everyone. I can't wait for you to meet Willa.

2 comments:

christy said...

What a great start to the day to read this about Willa and your adventure in China . I cannot wait to meet her . She sounds like a wonderful little girl that our family is so lucky to have.What a great joy for me to part of this.Welcome Willa AuntChristy

Craig said...

And as if any further source of joy was necessary, you just missed another inservice day!