Sunday, August 26, 2007

Willa's First . . . Starbucks!

Willa had a very hard night tonight. She hardly napped today and she was crazy clingy all night. I do my best to hold her; I know it helps with attachment. Still I have to go to the bathroom sometimes; I have to clean up. I sat her down for a while and she cried so hard for so long I thought she was going to vomit. I picked her up and that soothed her, but as soon as I put her in her bath, she started screaming hysterically again. I cleaned her quickly and lifted her out of the sink, slippery wet and shiny. When I put her down on the towel I'd laid out on the bed, she started with the screaming again. I leaned over her little naked body and whispered in her ear, "I'm your mommy. I'm not going to leave you." And then, magically, she stopped screaming, closed her eyes, and immediately fell into a deep sleep.

Totally different topic: we finally made a pilgrimage to Starbucks, the three of us. I took plenty of photos since I believe Willa's first trip to a coffee house is quite significant. It was like a Merchant Ivory Starbucks. We sat on a long veranda with big wicker chairs and ceiling fans. There were palm trees and other exotic plants all over. Everyone around us looked interesting: cool gay guys with severe classes, a German woman with purple highlights, a good looking Chinese woman with a fat English novel in her lap. Nikki ate a croissant and stole sips of my iced mocha. Willa kicked her feet and looked around. Chocolate! Coffee! Wheat! The West isn't all bad, right?

No comments: