Sunday, August 26, 2007

Blessings, Pearls, Poems, Bagels and Booze

Today we started out early, to avoid the heat. We went to a Buddhist Temple, for a baby blessing, which has been the highlight of my trip, tourist-wise. It was crowded, mostly by Chinese, but there were also a few Westerners there having their babies blessed as well. We bought a big bundle of incense and lit the whole thing, leaving the smoldering sticks in a special spot. Later I took Willa before a monk who chanted and tapped a little instrustrument. He dipped a leaf in some cool water and sprinkled it over both of us. Willa was entertained and cooing during the whole event. There are many beggars outside the temple walls. Our guide instructed us not to give anyone money, so I didn't, but it felt kind of heartless to walk past everyone. So inside the temple walls, compassion; outside the temple walls, pragmatism.

After the temple, we went jade shopping, and I bought a small, nice piece of jade for myself and each of the girls. I'm not unhappy to have purchased it, but I'm starting to feel a little played. It seems like every adoptive parent is given the "opportunity" to buy porcelain, jade, and pearls. The sale is pretty high pressure, and for a whimpy Midwesterner like myself, rather uncomfortable. After you purchase your jade, you're taken to the corner of the store, where an old man, whom I was told is one of the best caligraphers in China, will write a poem for your daughter and then make it into a wall hanging. I joined the line and had this done for Willa, and even though I felt like it was expected of me to do this, I didn't mind because the work he did was truly lovely and there was something gracious about this old man that rose above the dog-and-pony-show atmosphere of the day. He was reed thin and wrinkled and smiling.

Tomorrow is a medical exam for Willa, something the U.S. government requires before she can come to the U.S. Then we're off to the pearl market. You know, I kind of wanted to buy some pearls here in China, but I just don't know if I can face another dog-and-pony-show. I'm in a very small travel group and wriggling out of planned activity can be rather awkward, but I just might.

Tonight, we're ordering delivered food from Danny's Bagels, which is reputed to have very good Western food. Willa is a bit of a challenge at meals since she grabs everything! Last night I had some nice Thai green curry, but the whole bowl of it nearly landed on my lap several times. After food from Danny's, I'm hitting the mini bar. I haven't done that the entire trip, and I say it's high time.

And I still haven't gotten my latte yet.

2 comments:

Lizanne said...

Pictures, wonderful pictures!

Seeing Willa in the sink shows how tiny she is. Oh, what a beautiful face she has! We are enchanted. Josie had the same comment as Laura abt Nikki ("she looks like a grown-up").

Skip the tours! What's the worst that can happen? You've done your bit.

In JOsie's province, we requested a child-friendly tour (to a playground, not another provincial museum). I would take Josie back to the van for a snack in ridiculous situations like the china shop where the salespeople dogged us (dog and pony indeed). We walked out of a scheduled dinner w/other agency families (Cow & Bridge, good Thai place) bc it was just too hard to handle kids in an upscale restaurant. Ordered from Danny's Bagel instead. After that, we stopped going on all that stuff. Enough already!

It's almost over, right? Back to Dennis and Iris!

Cheers,

Lizanne, John & Josie

BECKY said...

BTW:

Nicole looks great! A very pretty young lady. I'm sure she is a terrific big sister...