Thursday, August 23, 2007

Authorized Post: Size 6 mo now, 9 mo soon

Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days. Between doing paperwork and Willa's increasing attachment to me (a good thing) it's harder for me to get to the business center in my hotel and write.
Willa continues to do amazingly well. She's very attached to me, wants to be held all the time. This is a good thing in adoption; it shows she sees me as her mother, not as just another in a series of caretakers. She's growing so fast. For those of you itching to buy baby clothes: she fits into a six month size, but I anticipate she will be into nine-months sizes soon.
A big disappointment for me: because of heavy rains and flooding in the countryside we were not able to go to Willa's orphanage. If there was one thing I wanted to do on this trip, it was see her hometown and orphanage. I know I can come back sometime and see it on another trip, but China is changing so quickly, it may be a very different village in just a few years. I really wanted to be able to tell her what her home is like.
Nikki has recovered from her travelers stomache and is able to get out and do things. Today we're going to "August 1" Park and then may do a little shopping. Since Willa's home province is known all over China for its fine ceramics, we went to a nice ceramics shop yesterday and bought Willa a very nice little vase as a keepsake of her home. Afterwards, we went to a WalMart supercenter. Usually I boycott WalMart, but I broke my rules this time to experience the Chinese version. It was pretty wild: multiple floors and lots and lots of people.
I am so damned sick of being hot. There. I said it. I hate to be a spoiled American and complain, but I just have to. Lugging a hot, sweaty baby around in the heat gets pretty tough. I'm also tired of fried rice for every meal. There, another complaint. Still, in spite of the heat and mountains of fried rice, I'm honestly having a fantastic time. I feel great, have tons of energy, and am in love with Willa.
Tomorrow we leave for Guangzhou, which is much more Westernized than Nanchang. Word on the street is, there's a Starbucks down the street from our hotel. I'm counting the minutes until I get my hands on a latte!

1 comment:

christy said...

Willa is attached to you, that must feel wonderful. Your trip is such an adventure, I feel like I am almost there when I follow your blog. This has been such an exciting time for everyone. Nikki is such a trooper, what an amazing kid.PHOTOS PLEASE. I cannot wait to see a current picture of her.